The rectangular building was constructed in 1861 during the reign of Napoleon III.
The building has been renovated from 1989 by French architect Antoine Stinco, resulting in about 1180 square metres (12,700 square feet) of exhibition space spread across three floors.
In 2004, Galerie Nationale du Jeu de Paume, Centre National de la Photographie and Patrimoine Photographique merged to form the Association de Préfiguration for the Etablissement Public (EPIC) Jeu de Paume. It has since developed into a centre for modern and postmodern photography and media.
The following pictures where taken in November 2005.